Saturday, May 10, 2008

I'm a COD Guy!

You might be wondering what "COD" means. It stands for Carrier On Board Delivery. The phrase can be applied to any aircraft that delivers people, mail and cargo to the aircraft carrier, but right now in 2008 it is used to the describe the mission of the C-2A Greyhound (C-is for cargo). The C-2A is a twin turboprop. It weighs about 38,000 lbs., carries 12,000 lbs. of fuel, and can carry 10,000 lbs. of cargo (whatever the carrier needs that day).

My squadron is VRC-30 (V-fixed wing, R-Replenishment, C-Carrier) and we are based out of NAS North Island on Coronado island in San Diego, Ca. The squadron is comprised of 5 detachments. Dets 1-4 are based in San Diego, and Det-5 is forward deployed with Carrier Airwing 5 in Atsugi, Japan. Each Det has 2 planes, 6 pilots and 40 enlisted maintainers and is assigned to a carrier airwing.

The mission of a deployed C-2 detachment is to keep up the critical flow of people, mail, and cargo to the carrier on a daily basis. Under the usual conditions the carrier can expect one flight a day from each of the 2 Det airplanes. The Det is usually based on land, meaning that we don't live on the carrier for much of the deployment (this is nice!). Initially, when the ship leaves home port the CODs will fly on and ride along until land is near. Once close enough, the planes set up a base on the nearest land and start making runs everyday, back and forth from the ship, until land gets too far. At that point the Det will pack up and ride the ship again or fly to a new location on dry land and start making hits again.

As for what we take.... One day we might fly 10,000 lbs. worth of toilet seats and the next day we might fly the CNO (Chief of Naval Operations) to the carrier. We deliver all the mail going to/coming from the ship, which is not as much any more with the invention of email. I have heard though that care packages pick up around the holidays (I like care packages too!). The cargo we might bring could be a plane full of valuable parts for the ship or for any of the airplanes aboard the ship or could be as small as a shoe box for something equally important. We also take a steady stream of people to and from the boat. Most of the people are just Navy personnel that are transferring to/from the ship, but sometimes we carry distinguished visitors/ VIP's from various nations to see the ship.

That is the basic mission of my airplane. I personally like the fact that I get to land aboard the carrier and be part of the tail hook Navy, but I don't have to live on the ship for 6 whole months. Because of the fact that we get to see dry land on a daily basis and the rest of the airwing does not, we (COD pilots) try to bring cool things for our friends aboard the ship. Sometimes we bring newspapers and sometimes we bring local food. I have heard that a cold pizza from land is worth a lot of money.... I am looking forward to seeing all the sights that the Pacific and Southeast Asia have to offer and getting a chance to experience the cultures as well. Of course I can't wait to share my experiences with you! My next blog will be from somewhere I have never been before..... Talk to you then

Jason

1 comment:

Jess Walinski said...

looking forward to hearing all about your first deployment and seeing pictures! best of luck, hope it goes well... and quickly!!